Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I Have the Coolest Husband

Here's the thing about marrying someone who doesn't give a rat's toot what people think about him... he will try ANYTHING. It's something that makes him a great dad, and today, it made him a really nifty husband.

Today was my half-day at work since I worked Sunday. Originally, I considered working all day today to build up some comp time for my upcoming trip, but I had a bajillion errands to run and I was pretty darn tired of work. So, I called Chris to see if he wanted to join me for my errands.

On my list of things to do was a manicure/pedicure. I always get one before I go on vacation to sort of "kick things off" so to speak. In my wallet was a gift certificate for a manicure and pedicure that I had given to Chris a couple of years ago for Christmas. Yes... for Chris. Here's why.

I was talking about how much I enjoyed my manis and pedis, and he asked me what they were like. As I described them, I said, "You know, YOU might enjoy a good 'man' pedicure." He shrugged and said, "Yeah... sounds like I would." So, I bought him the gift certificate.

I had it in MY wallet, because it laid about the house for over a year when I finally asked him if I should just use it myself. He shrugged and said, "Sure... I haven't had time to even think about it." Then I promptly forgot I had it.

So today, I told him I had the gift certificate and he could finally give it a try. He seemed hesitant at first, but then he said "yes!"

So we walk into the place and every woman there (three customers and four staff) looked shocked/amused/confused/intrigued when I announced that we both wanted a pedicure and a manicure. They gave us two seats beside each other and we talked while our two cosmetologists nattered on in Vietnamese. They did, however, stop to ask us how long we'd been married and how many kids we have (they knew the answer already because I've shown them pictures like, a dozen times). Then one of them told me how handsome he was. Actually, she said it in a way that indicated she was surprised I had bagged such a stud. But I'm ignoring that. They then resumed their coversation in Vietnamese, in which I'm sure they told each other how shocked they were that my husband was so handsome.

Anyway, Chris seemed to enjoy it and I had a great time with him there. Since he didn't get color on his nails, he headed over to EB Games while I sat under the dryer. It was all very pleasant. If it weren't so darned expensive, I'd take him every time I went!

5 comments:

Chris said...

I then proceeded to get a wicked nasty cardboard cut on my pinky, just under the nail. I then used super glue to close it up. Then I went and played ice hockey.

Jason said...

You should have immediately gone slogging through mud barefoot and done some stone masonry to get mortar under your nails.

eaf said...

Yes, I had to keep an eye on the process so they wouldn't file off his callouses. Can you imagine putting on skates right after having your callouses removed? Talk about unhappy.

Chris said...

Yeah, I would have been even more miserable than I am now with my leg hurting.

Anonymous said...

How funny, I just told David the other day that his cuticles were a mess and he should get a manicure.

And Elizabeth, I hear ya on the subtle "how'd you get such a stud" comments. When we see David's step-mom's mother (so I guess his step-grandma) it ALWAYS goes like this.

"Oh David, you get more handsome every time I see you!" Followed by, "Hi Amy."