Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Preparing to Go It Alone

Chris is going out of town tomorrow. He doesn't come back until Sunday night. That's five days of just me and TWO kids... one being a helpless infant, one being a wild toddler. Am I scared? You bet.

It's silly, isn't it? Chris really spoils me. He is such a homebody that I rarely have to go it alone, even for a couple of hours. I hardly ever take the kids to daycare, and I pick them up from there only a bit more frequently. But starting tomorrow, it's all about me.

He went to Origins last year as well... same time of year. However, we had already made beach plans with Brian and Sophie for the same weekend, so he was only gone Wednesday through Friday night. I only had one kid at the time too... so I was actually looking forward to some great Mommy-Daughter time. Instead, within minutes of him leaving, she came down with Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. Perhaps you remember...

It was then that I told Chris he could never leave town again. And yet, here he goes. I would be going with him if I hadn't just taken eight weeks maternity leave. I have no vacation time left to take. So I stay home while he hangs out with overweight guys who never shower and overweight women who wear chainmail bikinis. At least I need not worry that he will be unfaithful.

So I've been mounting my plan of attack... trying to figure out how to gently rock Marcus to sleep while Athena jumps up and down on my lap. Or perhaps how to cook dinner while feeding Marcus and entertaining Athena. (Thank goodness for DVRs and Nick Jr.! Huzzah!)

Don't get me wrong... I'm sure I'll survive. But I am going to be VERY tired by Monday morning. And then I will chain Chris to the front porch so he can't do this again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will do fine :) You are super mom after all, even if you don't know it yet :) Call if you need help, I'm only...like....three hours away!!! Sucks about the beach trip this year, the house has been invaded by a wild clan of beer-drinking belgians. Hey, maybe we should ship all the kids there with them!!!!

eaf said...

Sounds like a good time to me!!!

Anonymous said...

Yep.... maybe we should make plans for July 2007 already!

Bern said...

We're having a little cookout this Saturday to celebrate July 4th since Jason will be traveling on the actual July 4th itself. You are most welcome to come over with the kids and join us. We definitely can use some help with eating all those sausages.

eaf said...

Oh thanks. As yummy as those sausages looked while being made (blech), I have a hair appointment in Greensboro on Saturday. Then I'm inflicting myself and the younguns on friends in High Point who also have younguns. Should be very similar to your trip to the zoo on Monday... except the animals won't be in cages. :-)