Thursday, October 12, 2006

The One In Which the Mommy Librarian Is a Schmuck

I totally stood up my friend Jen tonight for our drink night. I never stand up Jen. Partially because I rarely see Jen. I just have been so wrapped up in my week that, even though it is clearly marked on my calendar, I forgot.

Part of my excuse is that I keep thinking that I'm a day behind. On Monday, I had a short day that consisted of some training, some futile running around town, and then home with the family. Seemed more like a Sunday. So on Tuesday, I kept thinking it was Monday; on Wednesday, I thought it was Tuesday; and today, I thought it was Wednesday. On top of that, Jen and I usually get together for drinks on Friday, but we've been unable to because of other plans cropping up on both sides. Tonight was sort of a "make-up" drink night. And I blew it.

Actually, five more minutes, and Jen would have called to find me in bed. I'm exhausted. I was ready to jump up, change back into real clothes and head out to meet her, but she gave me the option of rescheduling, so I did.

Still, I'm a schmuck. Friends don't stand up friends. And I have stood someone up. The guilt weighs heavy on my heart. And it's a double-whammy. No hanging out with Jen. No drinks. Talk about sucky.

For penance, I shall have to eat as many fried things as possible at the opening day of the State Fair tomorrow. I hear they are serving up fried Coca-Cola this year. Keep me in your thoughts...

5 comments:

jen said...

Are you guys going to the Fair tomorrow (Friday)? Me, too! Sarah and I are going after lunch. Maybe we'll run into you there.

Anyway, don't sweat it. The live music was loud, acoustic, and not very good anyway. Saved us both the pressure of coming up with good snark about it. :o)

Though I did have a chocolatey surprise and a good story for you, but both will keep til next time....

eaf said...

I'll buy her a drink. Although if the story is as good as I'm thinking it might be, perhaps she can get her own free drink! :-)

And Jen, we're going with Aiden's family. We're all picking up the kids around 2:30 or 3. Want me to call your cell when we get there? Maybe I can buy you a drink there. A coke at the fair costs as much as a beer at the schwanky bar in Apex.

jen said...

E: Yeah, call me when you get there. (Woo-hoo! It's Fair day!)

Sophie: I like the way you think, girl! :o)

Bern said...

Someone once told me that being forgetful is a sign that you are preggos. Are you? :)

eaf said...

Oh, I'm serious about the fried coke. Although we didn't see it. According to Chris, they put coke syrup into funnel cake dough, then put more on top of the funnel cake and then top it with whipped cream.

Did your heart stop just from reading that?