Sunday, January 08, 2006

Curse You, Braxton Hicks!

It seems that He Who Must Not Be Named moves a LOT. Unlike Athena, who would shift positions and then settle down for hours, this one seems to shift positions, do the Mexican Hat Dance, and then run through an Olympic floor routine. But today, I realized that it isn't necessarily always him.

Both last night and today, I started noticing that the movements were a little more... well... smooth and fluid. And then I realized that some of the discomfort of the movement has been the tightening in my abdomen. And suddenly it occured to me... that's not the wee one... that's Braxton-Hicks!

Although I've given you a link to learn more, I'll give you the short version. Braxton-Hicks contractions are "practice" contractions that actually begin at about week six, but often don't become obvious until closer to delivery... anytime past the midpoint of the pregnancy. With Athena, I never felt the first contraction until the real labor started. In fact, I was at the doctor once and she said, oh... you are having a Braxton-Hicks contraction! I said, "Oh, really?" I literally had no idea.

Well, I'm having them now. And I'm having them often. And although they are painless... they are still rather uncomfortable. And I only have another two and a half months of this. yippee.

No comments: