Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Magic of Holiday Television

Chris tells me that Athena saw Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer for the first time last night while I was at work. She loved it. Personally, I'm surprised Chris sat through it without having seizures... but he makes amazing sacrifices of his own personal tastes for his children every day.

Presently, she is enthralled by Santa Claus is Coming to Town. You know... the one with Fred Astaire? And it was almost scary to see the transformation. She switched from frantic toddler to silent tv zombie within two of the opening number's notes. Astonishing.

Of course, she's pissed off about the commercials. Thanks to Disney Channel and Noggin, she is not used to her program being interrupted by annoying people selling her stuff. So while a commercial is on, she fidgets and frets, and then the show resumes and she settles into contented silence. Freaky mind control, that tv.

Anyway, I've been looking forward to this for several years now. Athena has been too young to actually pay attention to these classics of the holidays in past years. But now, she is just as thrilled by them as I was. This is what having kids is all about... sharing those traditions and ... wait a minute... have you seen these shows lately? They are kind of bad! I mean, that stop motion that seemed so cool... it's almost creepy. Eyes bug out. Mouths form really bizarre expressions....

Well, at least she's enjoying it. Don't think I can sit and watch with her though. I'll get nightmares. *shudder*

2 comments:

Chris said...

And to think I don't like them just because they suck.

Anonymous said...

Well all that stop motion was so cool back then! It's like watching the old Star Wars. . .umm, hello, I totally see the dental floss flying the starship in front of a black piece of paper dotted with silver pen tip.