Thursday, July 12, 2007

Can You Hear Me Now?

Chris has already posted his account of this on his blog, but I wanted to bring it to you from my perspective, because it really was terribly cute and funny.

This morning, Chris' mobile rang at 4:30. I saw him set the alarm for 4am the night before, so I assumed it was the alarm going off. So when he started talking, I assumed he was talking to me. He said "Oh my God, it's 4:30!" and I said, "Yeah, so? What's wrong with that?" Then he said, "I'll be right there!" I was about to say "You ARE right here!" but then the morning haze drifted away from my brain and I realized he was on the phone with his coworker, who was waiting for him at the airport.

He took off, and I couldn't get back to sleep. I was worried that he missed his flight. I was stressed about work. And I had a nasty cough. At 5:15, I ran myself a bath to calm the cough. The warm water did the trick, and I was in bed and asleep by 5:45... only to have the alarm rudely awaken me at 6:15... right in the middle of a dream. So, I hit the off button and went instantly back to sleep.

Fortunately, Athena has a built-in alarm and she frequently awakens at 6:30 on the dot. This morning, she did not disappoint. She tottered in and announced "Wake up time!" So I obliged and got in the shower.

I was almost done... I was shaving my legs, when suddenly Athena bursts in and says "Daddy is on the phone! It's Daddy!!" I glance up and see she has the phone... which is nothing unusual. She often picks it up and pretends to talk to whoever she thinks of at that moment... frequently grandma.

So I said, "That's nice honey," and resumed my work when suddenly I hear Chris' voice. I look again, and see the red speaker-phone light is on. I opened the shower door and said, "Chris?! Is that you?!"

"Yep."

"Did she answer the phone?! Did you answer the phone, honey?"

"It would appear so," Chris said. Athena just nodded proudly.

So cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's impressive on her part, but I'm more impressed that you actually shaved your legs. I'm on a every Saturday schedule, and I think I may have skipped last week.

Jessica said...

Dylan actually calls people. He prefers to use speed dial.
He calls my mom long distance all the time. All I can hear through the phone is "Give the phone to your mommy. Where's your mommy?"

Brant said...

Kieran's not calling people just yet, but we have programmable ringtones for our home phones, and he knows the family ringtones. He answers for my parents, Shelli's parents, and Shelli's sister.