Thursday, July 31, 2008

Quest For the Hotness: Mile Marker Three

Happy Birthday, Harry Potter! And here we are at Mile Marker Three.

So, at first glance, it would seem that the quest is a total failure. Today, I weighed in at 206. My goal for this day was 190. But I'm not discouraged. Here's why...

I haven't been watching my food intake. At all. I've been eating and drinking what I please. I am trying not to eat when I'm not hungry, and I've been doing a little portion control... but only a little. For the most part, I've been eating like a normal person. With a little stress eating thrown in... particularly during that whole "decision week."

The reason I've lost weight at all (on the 7th I was 208) is my slavish devotion to the gym. Ever since July 5, I have been to the gym every other day, with only two exceptions. Both times I made exceptions, it was because I simply couldn't get there on that day... no matter how I rearranged my schedule. Once we were completely out of town.

So each visit to the gym means 30 minutes on the treadmill and almost always at least a little time on the machines. Unfortunately, my piercing (yes... it's mine) means I had to eliminate crunches from my workout until mid-October when it is considered completely healed. I had gotten up to 100. So, my piercing still rests on a slightly flabby belly. But if I can keep this up, and maybe even do better with food, that won't be an issue for too long.

Historically, I've always lost my belly fat first, but I think after two children it won't be so easy. Another reason I'm not discouraged is that several people have said that it looks like I've lost weight. And that's really what matters, right?

So damn the torpedos, man! Full speed ahead!

6 comments:

Jason said...

I'll tell you a secret that I learned at a support group meeting the other day:

Black Tea - 5 cups a day

Reduces stress and cortisol levels in a big way. Cortisol is what deposits fat on your midsection. I've been trying it and I feel SO much less stress during the day. I just fill a sports bottle with black tea and sip it all day.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo sick of going to the gym, but it really helps. Even if it's just staying the same for 3 weeks (I'm not bitter). I'm insane now and go everyday. Sometimes I go twice a day, although that's usually only been Mondays.

Take your measurements too, it makes you feel better when the scale stays the same, to see little decreases in size. You just have to make sure to measure the same place every time!

eaf said...

Ugh... except I hate tea, Jason.

Amy, I'm going to let my clothes be the judge. I'm dreading it though, since I just got the new wardrobe... have to take everything in. Well, okay, I'm not dreading it TOO much.

Anonymous said...

My clothes are unreliable, well except for those pants that used to not fit, but now do. I usually wear a pair of pants once or twice before for washing (longer for my weekend jeans), so they're just always stretched out. I did save a pair of cords from the give away pile though, they fit me again.

CathyB said...

Good for you! Keep going to the gym. Did your mother freak out about the stomach piercing?

Kevin and I have decided to do a 5K in September. We are on week 6 of the "couch-potato to 5K running plan" at www.coolrunning.com. Sunday we both ran for 20 minutes straight (and neither of us passed out or threw up!)

eaf said...

My mother does not know. My mother cannot know. She would freak out.

Freak. Totally. Out.