Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Save the Library

So the County passed a budget that actually saved two of our branches from closing. Apparently, they did this by cutting money to education and human services. Although I am overjoyed that our libraries need not be closed, I'm a bit worried about these cuts. I do have a kid entering Kindergarten, and although we have some of the best public schools in the country, they can't maintain that without money. I'm also pretty much in favor of controlling/preventing AIDS and other diseases... so when money comes out of Human Services... well... you see what I'm getting at.

Still, it's good to know that libraries are so valued where I live. There are many, many other places around the country that are seeing libraries closed and hours drastically reduced. The Seattle area is seeing all schools lose their professional librarians, leaving the school libraries to be run by assistants and other teachers. So so so so sad.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

So now, the sick uneducated folks can come hang out at the library! Should make for interesting times at the reference desk :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I guess David should stop wishing he'd gotten a degree in library sciences.